Kirov Ballet / Mariinsky Ballet
For more than two centuries the Kirov/ Mariinsky Theatre has been presenting the world with a plethora of great artists: the outstanding bass and founding father of the Russian operatic performing school Osip Petrov served here; this is where such great singers as Fyodor Chaliapin, Ivan Yershov, Medea and Nikolai Figner and Sofia Preobrazhenskaya honed their skills and rose to glory. Ballet dancers reigned supreme on this stage, among them Mathilde Kschessinska, Anna Pavlova, Vaslav Nijinsky, Galina Ulanova, Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov. This is where George Balanchine set out on the road to art. This theatre has witnessed the dawn of the talents of such brilliant theatre decorators as Konstantin Korovin, Alexander Golovin, Alexandre Benois, Simon Virsaladze and Fyodor Fyodorovsky among countless others.
The Kirov/ Mariinsky Theatre secured and developed the great traditions of Russia's first musical theatre. With the arrival in 1863 of Eduard Nápravník, who replaced Konstantin Lyadov as Principal Conductor, a new and glorious era in the theatre's history began. The half century Nápravník dedicated to the Mariinsky Theatre stands out for the premieres of the most important operas in the history of Russian music. We will mention just a few - Musorgsky's Boris Godunov, Rimsky-Korsakov's The Maid of Pskov, May Night and The Snow Maiden, Borodin's Prince Igor, Tchaikovsky's The Maid of Orleans, The Enchantress, The Queen of Spades and Iolanta, Rubinstein's The Demon, Taneyev's Orest… In the early 20th century, the theatre's repertoire included operas by Wagner (among them the tetralogy Das Ring des Nibelungen), Richard Strauss' Elektra, Rimsky-Korsakov's The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevronia and Musorgsky's Khovanshchina…
Marius Petipa, who became Director of the Ballet Company in 1869, continued the traditions of his predecessors - Jules Perrot and Arthur Saint-Léon. Petipa jealously preserved classical works such as Giselle, La Esmeralda and Le Corsaire, subjecting them only to careful revisions. His production of La Bayadère brought scope and range of choreographic composition to the ballet stage for the first time, where "dance became assimilated to music."
Petipa's lucky meeting with Tchaikovsky, who stated that "ballet is also a symphony", resulted in the creation of The Sleeping Beauty - a veritable poem in music and choreography. Petipa and Lev Ivanov's collaboration produced the choreography for The Nutcracker. After Tchaikovsky's death, Swan Lake took on a second life at the Mariinsky Theatre - and again with choreography by both Petipa and Ivanov. Petipa cemented his reputation as a symphonist choreographer with his production of Glazunov's ballet Raymonda. His innovative ideas were seized upon by the young Michel Fokine, who staged Tcherepnin's <>Le Pavillon d'Armide, Saint-Saëns' The Dying Swan and Chopiniana to music by Chopin at the Mariinsky Theatre as well as ballets created in Paris - Schéhérazade to music by Rimsky-Korsakov and The Firebird and Pétrouchka by Stravinsky.
A government decree of 9 November 1917 made the Mariinsky Theatre the property of the State and it was transferred to the People's Enlightenment Commissariat. In 1920 it began to be called the State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet (GATOB), and in 1935 it was named after Sergei Mironovich Kirov. Along with classics from the previous century, in the 20s and early 30s contemporary operas began to be staged at the theatre - among them Sergei Prokofiev's The Love for Three Oranges, Alban Berg's Wozzeck and Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier; and ballets were mounted that reinforced the new choreographic trend that had been popular for decades, the so called "drama-ballet" - Reinhold Glière's The Red Poppy, Boris Asafiev's Flames of Paris and The Fountain of Bakhchisarai, Alexander Krein's Laurencia and Sergei Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet among others.
In the 50s-70s such famed ballets as Farid Yarullin's Shurale, Aram Khachaturian's Spartacus and Boris Tishchenko's Twelve with choreography by Leonid Yakobson, Sergei Prokofiev's The Stone Flower and Arif Melikov's The Legend of Love with choreography by Yuri Grigorovich and Dmitry Shostakovich's Leningrad Symphony with choreography by Igor Belsky were staged at the theatre, and along with productions of these new ballets the theatre diligently cared for its classical legacy. The opera repertoire was enriched with works by Prokofiev, Dzerzhinsky, Shaporin and Khrennikov alongside operas by Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Musorgsky, Verdi and Bizet.
In 1988 Valery Gergiev was appointed Principal Conductor of the theatre. On 16 January 1992 the theatre's historic name was restored and it became the Mariinsky Theatre once again. And in 2006 the company and the orchestra were presented with the Concert Hall at 37 Decembrists' Street, built on the initiative of Valery Gergiev, Artistic and General Director of the Mariinsky Theatre.
CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO